Friday, February 8, 2008

Sister Act



There's something magical about being one of three sisters. Unlike other numbers of sibs, there's never quite a balance (the old two against one thing when you're kids) and yet, it always seems to work out somehow. Each sister has her assigned role -- the responsible eldest, the striving middle child and the free-spirited youngest. And each responds to that assignment in her own fashion, adopting or rejecting those expectations and her place in the family. It's rich material for art and writing.

I have long wanted to do a series based on the Three Sisters theme and this is my start, although if I don't get cracking on it my sisters and I will resemble the sisters of Scottish play fame more closely than the pretty Victorian trio used in this piece.

Well, no matter how old we grow, our relationship as sisters will always define us in some way. It's funny how that works.

No comments: