Monday, March 17, 2008

Morning Ramble II: First Robin


First Robin
March 6, 2008

A velvety moss carpet
Is the welcome mat
at the doorway to
Nature awakening.
Where beneath craftpaper leaves
lie the tiniest hints in
a wild newspaper
spreading scandalous rumors
of spring emerging

There’s company for breakfast.
An old friend hops beyond the rise,
already washed and dressed.
His splendid scarlet vest
flashes in the stretching and yawning light.

Fresh from a good night’s rest,
he debates with a chum
the merits of beetle grubs
versus earthworms to break the evening’s fast.
They’re quite unconcerned about the benefit
of orange juice with calcium
and whether cereal has
a minimum daily requirement of fiber.

Enough pondering, he tells me.
The world will wait.
It’s time to eat.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

Well, after seeing your robin/bird stamps, I had to read your poem too - brilliantly composed! I do not for the life of me understand where this obsession comes from... do you? LOL! I must admit, I can't wait to get some real rubber and stop wearing the nasty lino!! Lovely to hear from you on my blog - and I especially like your waves! ;-]