Monday, March 9, 2009

Some HeARTy Experiments



Beautiful brushwork is popping up like spring ephemerals over at the most recent GPP Street Team Crusade. Since playing with brushwork is exactly my cup of tea, I offered the selection in the previous post as my contribution.

Turns out, I have a bit more of recent vintage to offer. These experiments were done with a cheap pack of paper heart doilies purchased around Valentine's Day. The one on top is the doily as mask and some brushwork with my trusty chip brush.


The one above was done with the chip brush and a credit card. I love the translucent quality created by the thin paint.


This one is the doily as mask (at top) and monoprint (at bottom) and the doily itself as collage element.


Finally, here's a few more elements thrown in. A couple of Crusades ago we were playing with shapes and I cut fun foam into leaves to make stamp/monoprints. Here is the foam again with paint applied in scratchy brush strokes then applied to the page via my brayer. The collage elements are from some discarded wrapping paper I rescued. I realize it's not as rich as the previous post, but I thought the evolution of play with paint might be interesting. But don't tarry here; there's so much more to see. Check out what's going on with the Crusade and prepare to be amazed.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh....really nice, JeriAnn!! How those lines radiate outward from those hearts..perfect!

michelle ward said...

JeriAnn - I love that you are sharing your continued play! The peek at the monoprinted heart is fab! And the scraping on the second one rocks - very cool to see it in 'perfect' form just above too as it really shows how interesting things get when you keep going. xo

debi lynn mattingly said...

Hi JeriAnn!

Beautiful...love all the layering and colors. It was great to see you take a "simple" item and bring it to life! Thanks for sharing...xo..deb

Regina said...

These images just pop off the screen which is quite nice on a dismal day. I must remember to use my chip brush because I really like how it turned out for you.

Unknown said...

GREAT!!!

Chris said...

Jeri Ann, This is so pretty and what a POP! I love the colors. I've had two packs of those heart doilies for months and didn't even open them. But this is really inspiratonal. It looks so... MOD!

Thanks for sharing again. I'm going to have to 'borrow' this idea from you, too! ha

jgr said...

These are gorgeous! I love the bright yellow and the red/pink collage. The credit card idea is very cool, too.

Anonymous said...

JeriAnn,

The layers provide real depth in your hearts. I also like the wings in the last one.

Regina, St. Maarten DWI

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Those heart doily make great masks. Very cool.

Marlynn said...

Love the radiating paint strokes. WOW... Marlynn