Saturday, January 16, 2010

Help comes to Haiti



Even as I weep and gnash my teeth and pray for the people of Haiti, the roster of compassion grows. There are 27 search-and-rescue teams now on the ground in Haiti. The list of countries warms my heart. Name someplace at random and they have sent rescuers -- Iceland, Brazil, the Philippines, Israel, Mexico, France, Spain, Honduras, the UK, the list goes on and on. Rescue teams with their valiant dogs are on their way or on the ground from every corner of the US. As someone who was in New York City on 9/11, I am particularly moved to see New York's Finest and Bravest answering the call. These heroes going willingly into the jaws of Hell to try to save lives once again deeply moves me. They all move me. If only the world could pull together when there isn't a tragedy of epic proportions.

I know you want to do all you can. The best place to find a charity that is reputable and gives the majority of its proceeds to help the people of Haiti is HERE. It's the American Institute for Philanthropy's watchdog Web site.

Please keep in mind that once the initial phase is past, there will be a great need for help. When the call goes out for food, water, clothes and supplies, please keep the specific needs of women and babies in mind. Diapers and personal feminine supplies are often overlooked during donations. They will be much needed. It will be up to us not to let news fatigue make us forget that the rescue has only just begun. There is so much more that needs to be done.

And thank you for all you are doing.

2 comments:

Kim Mailhot said...

Doesn't the outpouring of love and help make you hopeful for us human beings, JeriAnn ? I does give me hope and also makes me feel so very grateful for all that I have.

Good helping tips as well. Let's keep the chain going...
Big love to you, Beautiful Lady.

Unknown said...

You're right...why is it that we seem to be able to unite easily over tragedy but can't seem to do it on a daily basis.

We can do are part to keep the message out there even when CNN tires of the news.

x..x
steph